When it comes to skin care, there are many ingredients with various effects. The world’s most popular ingredients in skin care are bamboo extract, vitamin B5, and sodium hyaluronate. All of them are known for their moisturizing properties and potential for improving skin health. In this article, we are going to take a closer look at their characteristics and find out which product is right for your skin.
Bamboo Extract and Its Properties
Bamboo extract has long been used in Asia and other countries to improve skin, hair, and human health. This natural nutrient is especially rich in silicon oxide, which is essential for supporting skin tissue. In addition, bamboo extract also contains flavones, glycosides, and amino acids with potential benefits for skin care.
This extract is known for its diverse skin care features.
- Antioxidant: This antioxidant can neutralize free radicals and prevent skin aging. This is because when cells are exposed to UV rays, pollution, sugar, and other sources of stress, they produce large amounts of free radicals that tend to react with other molecules and cause damage. Nevertheless, the flavones contained in bamboo extract release electrons to neutralize free radicals, thereby reducing the symptoms of aging.
- Other: It could absorb excess sebum for oily skin and soothes irritation for sensitive skin. Then, the anti-inflammatory effect leaves the skin soft and smooth.
Vitamin B5 and Its Properties
Vitamin B5, or pantothenic acid, is a beneficial B vitamin that is essential for both skin and body health. However, panthenol, a precursor of vitamin B5, is commonly added to skin care products because vitamin B5 is unstable and sensitive to temperature and ingredients.
Figure 1. Chemical Structure of Panthenol
Both panthenol and vitamin B5 are known for their moisturizing, soothing, and wound-healing properties.
- Hydration: Both can be tightly bound with water molecules. Panthenol is a low-molecular-weight penetrating moisturizer that improves skin penetration and moisture retention. At the same time, D-panthenol, which is a type of panthenol, has a three-hydroxy group structure that retains moisture for a long time and has excellent moisturizing effects.
- Anti-inflammatory: Vitamin B5 reduces inflammation in many conditions. It is necessary to reduce inflammatory phenomena such as redness and swollen acne, and can also prevent the spread of bacteria at this time. It also helps reduce the number of acne-related facial blemishes.
- Repair: Its ability to stimulate the growth of epidermal cells promotes skin repair, whether from scars or acne. In addition, it can also be used on sunburned and dry skin.
Sodium Hyaluronate and Its Features
Another ingredient that is making headlines in the beauty industry is sodium hyaluronate powder. It is a sodium salt of hyaluronic acid present in the extracellular matrix of nerve tissue and the corneal endothelium. The terms sodium hyaluronate and hyaluronic acid are often used interchangeably.
Figure 2. Chemical Structure of HA and Sodium Hyaluronate
This powerful powder derived from hyaluronic acid offers multiple skin benefits.
- Intensive hydration: Moisture is the foundation of healthy skin. Due to its small molecular size, sodium hyaluronate has the ability to penetrate deep into the layers of the skin and deliver moisture where it is needed most.
- Improved skin texture: A smooth and refined skin texture is a sign of healthy skin. By deeply moisturizing the skin, sodium salts help soften rough spots, soften the appearance of fine lines, and even out skin tone.
- Increased collagen production: Collagen is an essential protein that gives the skin its structure and elasticity. As we age, collagen production naturally decreases, leading to sagging skin and the formation of wrinkles. Sodium Hyaluronate boosts the skin’s collagen synthesis for more youthful, plump skin.
In short, bamboo extract is characterized by antioxidant properties. Vitamin B5 is a moisturizing and calming nutrient. Sodium hyaluronate is a beneficial moisturizer that offers multiple benefits for skin care. More importantly, remember that everyone’s skin is different and what works for one person may not work for another. It’s always beneficial to do a patch test or seek personalized advice from a skin care professional.
Stanford Chemicals Company (SCC) offers high-quality sodium hyaluronate in a variety of molecular weights and grades. For more information, visit his website at our company.
 Panthenol. (2023, January 2). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthenol
 Sodium hyaluronate. (2023, January 29). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hyaluronate