Bread is one of the essential foods. Even though it tastes delicious, the process behind its making can be quite complex for beginners. It requires proper kneading and perfect baking to make good quality bread.
The first and the most important step of bread making is to knead the dough. It takes a lot of time to do this task by hand. Not only that, but you can also make human errors.
To avoid this, investing in a high-quality dough kneading machine is a lifesaver. It will do all the hard work for you so that you can enjoy perfect bread anytime you want. We have prepared a list of all the products that might suit your requirements. But before we jump to the machines, let’s discuss some important aspects.
What Makes Dough Perfect?
To knead perfect dough, it is crucial to understand the science behind it. The important part of any dough is its gluten content. It is a substance that provides stretch in your bread and makes it soft and airy. If you do not knead long enough, your dough will break apart due to the improper gluten content.
Another crucial element of any dough is yeast. It is a fungus that creates air in the bread hence helps it rise. It should be handled carefully because it can denature in high temperatures. Thus, proper kneading is necessary to obtain perfect bread.
But how will you know if your dough is ready? Following are some tests that can tell you whether your dough is kneaded properly or not.
- Shape Test
When the dough is kneaded properly, it holds its shape. When you lift it in your hand, it should keep intact without breaking apart between your fingers. Also, good dough doesn’t have cracks or roughness on it.
If your dough is runny, you might have to knead it more and add some flour to it. On the other hand, if your dough is too hard, maybe you have over-knead it.
- Stretch Test
For this test, take your dough and stretch it as much as you can. If your dough is ready, it will stretch till it looks like a thin paper sheet. That too, without breaking. If you are able to see through it, it is perfect. If not, you might have to fix it.
- Poke Test
This one is the most practiced test in the food industry. Many bakers like to see if their dough is correctly kneaded by poking it. Good dough is supposed to rise with no dents.
If you poke and it creates a dent, it means your dough isn’t ready yet. But if it rises, it is good to go in the oven and then on your plate.
The Concept behind Dough Kneading Machines
Before the sudden advancement in the food industry, most of the work was manual and hand-drawn. People used to grind, chop, and mix everything with their hands. And just like anything, kneading dough was a time-consuming and challenging job.
It required a lot of skill and time to make the perfect dough. And even then, it used to turn out a disaster sometimes. Hence, to save time and efforts, the dough kneading machines became popular. Now, they are not only used by professionals, but almost every household has at least one kind of dough kneading machine – be it manual or electric.
These machines not only reduce preparation time, but they also increase the chance of getting a proper dough every time. It reduces human error and produces perfect dough in each use.
Types of Dough Kneading Machines
Hamilton Beach Eclectrics All-Metal 12-Speed Electric Stand Mixer, Tilt-Head, 4.5 Quarts, Pouring Shield, Red
Like every other product, these machines also come in various kinds. Some of the top ones are discussed below:
- Stand Mixer
A stand mixer may look fancy and complex, but it is a highly practical tool in the kitchen. It has the ability to do pretty much everything with no efforts. It is highly versatile and comes with many options. You can change the attachments according to your requirement. Just put all the ingredients and start the machine, and it will do the work for you.
Recommended dough kneading stand mixers:
This stand mixer is a true companion for any cooking enthusiast. Equipped with a high-quality tilt-head design, KitchenAid Artisan design stand mixer is an all in one solution to all your baking needs. It is perfect for household use and comes with different attachments to cover all the tasks with a single machine.
- Has flexible dough kneading hook attachment to make perfect dough.
- Features ten different speed options, and each one is to compliment a different requirement.
- Equipped with a head-tilt mechanism that provides easy mixing of the dough.
- Comes with three attachments, including a whisk, a beater, and a dough hook.
- Has a 400watt motor to ensure maximum performance.
- Quite versatile, as it can be used with 12 different attachments.
- Offers a lot of space and can easily accommodate up to 5 quarts of dough. The extra space helps to maintain a mess-free workplace.
- The heavy-duty motor guarantees top-notch performance.
- Made from high-quality material that is bound to last for a long time.
- Can be used for multiple functions – be it cake batter or bread dough; it can mix anything.
- Comes with a transparent glass bowl, which means you can easily monitor the state of your dough.
- Quite big and takes up a lot of space.
- Has a glass bowl that can break if used harshly.
This all-metal stand mixer by Hamilton Beach is all a baker can ask for. It is extremely versatile and comes with a lot of attachment options. With this, you are bound to get perfect dough each time.
- Features a large bowl with space of up to 4.5 quarts.
- Comes with three attachments for kneading, whisking, and beating.
- Equipped with a high-quality motor of 400 watts that ensures a perfect mix every time.
- Offers 12 different speed settings to select according to the requirement of different types of mixes.
- Features a unique planetary mixing system to provide a thorough mix every time.
- Available in several different colors. You can choose whatever suits the interior of your kitchen.
- All the attachments of this mixer are non-stick. It allows you to use every bit of your dough without wasting any of it.
- Its large bowl provides a mess-free workplace.
- Comes with a splash guard that can be fixed on the bowl.
- Features several speed options that complement the beating requirement of different types of dough.
- Quite expensive as compared to the other options.
- Quite big and takes up too much space.
Manual Dough Kneading Machine
This kind of dough kneading machine is now old-fashioned, but it is perfect for domestic use. Although it requires some work, it is still better than hand kneading. With this machine at hand, all you would have to do is put all your ingredients in the container and mix them with a rotatory mechanism. It gets the job done in half the time.
The manual dough makers are definitely a cheap alternative to expensive electric dough kneading machines.
Recommended manual dough makers:
If you are tired of hand kneading and want a better alternative, this product can be a good option for you. It is straightforward to use and easy to clean. It comes with all the essential accessories to make a perfect dough. For household use, it can be game-changing.
- Features two attachments—one for dough, and the other one for cutting purposes.
- Comes with three accessories, which include egg separator, dumpling maker, and a measuring spoon.
- Has a transparent container so that you can see if your dough is ready or not.
- It is manual and operates with a rotary handle.
- Easy to use and even easier to clean.
- It does not take up a lot of space. You can keep it in any kitchen cabinet.
- Budget-friendly – You will not have to spend your savings to get this one.
- Time-saving and produces a perfect dough in minimal time.
- The measuring spoon makes it easy to perfect the ratio. Even a beginner can make dough with this kneader.
- Made from plastic hence not very durable.
- Does not come with many color options, which might be a letdown for the ones who love adding colorful products in their kitchen.
This one is a classic manual food processor by Ultra Chef Express. It is designed for in-home use and saves the extra effort of kneading by hand. If you want a budget-friendly dough maker that can also do other kitchen tasks, then this one is an excellent option to go for.
- Crafted from food-grade BPA-free plastic.
- Features an easy-grip handle to provide maximum ease while mixing.
- Comes with several attachments, including a chopper, juicer, shredder, and a slicer.
- Features a flip cap window that allows you to add more ingredients without opening the device.
- Comes in a classic color that complements every kitchen.
- Can prepare dough from scratch within 2 minutes only. You have to rotate the handle clockwise first, and then anticlockwise until you get a perfectly mixed dough.
- Easy to use and clean.
- You can store it anywhere as it doesn’t occupy a lot of space.
- Comes with instructions on how to use the device.
- Light on the budget compared to other dough makers.
- Available in one color only.
- Requires some effort to perfect the technique.
You may find it weird, but food processors can knead the dough quite well as well. More interestingly, it takes much less time as compared to hand kneading. The only problem with this method is that it produces a lot of heat, and this temperature rise can affect the quality of your dough. However, if you’re in a hurry, this is an easy way to get it done.
Recommended kneading food processor:
If you need something compact yet functional, then this one will be the right choice for you.
- Comes in a beautiful metallic finish that goes well with any kitchen interior.
- Can perform many functions, including chopping, mixing, kneading, pureeing, and shredding.
- Offers a container space of up to 14 cups, which is enough for household use.
- Features a lid with a feed tube that allows you to add ingredients while mixing.
- Provides multiple speed options for perfect mixing of different kinds of dough.
- Can be stored easily and does not take up much space.
- It is quite multifunctional. You can use it for most of the kitchen work.
- Features a sealed lid to provide a mess-free function.
- Comes with a storage case where you can keep your accessories safe.
- Does not have many color options.
- Can have issues of overheating sometimes, which may destroy the gluten of your dough.
The bread makers take care of everything, including the kneading and baking. This tool makes sure that there are no lumps or breaking in the dough. Although these machines are quite expensive, if you bake a lot then investing in this kind of machine is a great option to go for.
Recommended bread maker:
This machine has everything a bread lover can ask for. It can also be used by a beginner level baker as it requires minimal effort to get amazing results.
- Comes with different-sized pans. The biggest one has space for a 2lb bread loaf.
- Offers multiple heating options to bake the bread according to your liking.
- Can be used for multiple purposes. It has a total of 19 settings. You can use it to make dough of all kinds, including pizza dough and cake batter.
- Equipped with a non-stick ceramic coating to maintain the shape of your bread.
- Has a compartment for different ingredients so you can easily add them the dough turn by turn, instead of just dumping them together.
- Comes with a step by step guide to making perfect dough each time.
- Extremely convenient to use. You can make all kinds of bread with just a single touch.
- Quite easy to clean as its non-stick surface ensures a clean pan after each use.
- A beginner can use this machine easily as it comes with a guide to assist the user in the process.
- Highly durable.
- Backed by a warranty of 2 years just in case something happens.
- If you do not trust machines, then you should try this one. It has a window peak through which you can see the state of your bread.
- The directions can be a little hard to follow sometimes.
- Takes up a decent amount of space.
Dough kneading is one of the trickiest tasks of all time, but the kneading machines have made this process quite easy. These save a lot of time and produce a good dough with zero to minimum efforts.
Different types of dough kneading machines are available in the market. Their types can range from manual dough makers to high-tech, fully automatic ones. You can opt for the right type according to your requirements and budget.
For more information on best dough kneading machines, check out our article on Top 5 Dough Kneading Machines and Mixers.