A party isn’t a party without a plenty of fresh ice. Or you may be an athlete or outdoors person who is constantly using ice. So, you may end up frequently travel to the local store to stock up another bag of countertop ice after running out of it, then you need to invest in an ice maker. Most of refrigerators come with an ice maker but they only produce ice in lower volumes. There are a number of options to move beyond ice trays and poor performing refrigerator ice makers. In this article, we will talk you through the different types and will recommend you the best icemakers that are available in the market today to satisfy your needs and wants.
Types of Ice Makers
The ice makers which are manufactured for household use are of two types:
1. Countertop models
A portable ice maker has the ability to provide ice in a variety of distinct conditions that a conventional under-counter ice maker does not. The question which may arise is that why there is a need for a countertop ice maker (also known as portable ice maker) when you have a freezer which allows the making of ice cubes? The following are the reasons why it’s you would want to consider this option: Pros:
- Lightweight and of compact size
- Extremely Portable
- No installation process required
- Have smaller capacities
- Requires continuous pouring of water
2. Under-counter models
Under-counter ice makers can be positioned beside a wine cooler or other various types of appliances of considerable size. Before initiating a purchase, one must consider the factors discussed below: Pros:
- Does not occupy any counter space as they are generally installed under the shelf
- Have the capability to produce large quantities of ice in a very quick time
- Most of them are automated and have a large production capacity
- Constructed as industrial sized refrigerators
- You should buy them only if you need larger quantities of ice as they consume a lot of space
- They are not considered portable because once they are installed it is very difficult to move them
- Require professional installation
- Takes up cabinet space
For this review we are focusing primarily on portable and countertop ice makers.
Here is our list of the top 5ice makers that you can buy in order to fulfill your ice making requirements:
Where to Buy
With the help of hOmelabs Portable Ice Maker Machine, you will not have to choose between freezer space and cold drinks to make ice as this small-scale portable icemaker will enable you to upgrade the production of ice cubes and make the process easier than ever. The home portable icemaker is a sleek, high-performance countertop ice-making machine that produces approximately 12.9kgs of ice per day and stores up to nearly 1kg of ice. In just 6 to 8 minutes you will have smooth, bullet shaped ice cubes that will make every drink a pleasure to enjoy. This modern icemaker automatically shuts off when the ice bucket is full. It is simple to fill, ready to use right out of the box, and requires no real necessary installation. Its new easy-to-use control panel is perfect for kitchens, recreational vehicles, boats and more. Pros :
- Perfect for everyday use as it does not take up much space
- Makes a very little noise while operating
- Exceptionally portable
- Fast performance
- Beeping sound may not be liked by everyone
The traditional ice making machines usually freeze water and then turn it into hard ice cubes. For those who like to chew ice will, unfortunately, have to visit a restaurant to attain the ice they crave. The Opal Nugget ice makeris designed for enthusiasts of pellet ice (also known as nugget ice). It is an innovative icemaker that is drafted with advanced technology and contains a broad range of features. It features a minimal stainless-steel design that easily fits into any kitchen theme. The front of the opal nugget’s design consists of just one button appearing as a circular LED which allows the device to communicate with the status of the ice by displaying different colors after pairing with a mobile app (FirstBuild) through a Bluetooth connection. The user can view the app to check the status, communicate with the machine, and request it to start or stop making the ice. The app also enables the users to brighten, dim or turn off the LED ring and set the schedule according to which opal will regularly produce ice. Pros :
- Smart enough to understand when to start or stop making ice
- Has a sensor to detect the water level
- Large bin capacity
- Bluetooth connectivity with its mobile app for easy monitoring
- Slightly noisy
If you are looking for the simplest way to make little igloo-shaped ice for your drinks, the Ice103 countertop icemaker is just what you need. The icemaker is extremely easy to use as you just need to fill the reservoir with a push of few buttons to enjoy the batch of ice that will be produced within six minutes. It also helps you create different size ice cubes (small, medium, large) by just a press of well-labeled buttons, which makes this machine one of the best options available out there for you.
- Simple to use and efficient
- Durable build and produces ice quickly
- No self-cleaning function
Many people love clear ice simply because it looks better and gives drinks a certain elegant look. For drink enthusiasts, clear ice is the best form of ice as it chills your drink without degrading the liquid’s taste or quality. If you like the idea of having a bar-style ice maker in your home then the Luma Comfort IM200SS portable ice maker is a perfect choice.
- Easy to operate
- Indicator lights will notify you when the water reservoir needs to be filled
- Produces ice in just 15 minutes
- Compact, lightweight and portable
- Produces 28 pounds of clear ice a day
- Produced clear ice melts 5x slower than cloudy ice
- Doesn’t havea window that allows you to take a quick peek on the ice
- No self-cleaning function
The last pick on our list and the best icemaker for heavy use is the Ice-o-Matic ICEU220FA. If you require a high amount of ice regularly and not able to produce it in a regular freezer or refrigerator then don’t worry and invest in this best high-end ice making machine available in the market today. It produces about 107kgs of ice every 24 hours which makes it capable of satisfying huge ice demands.
It is especially recommended for people who have huge gatherings on a regular basis or just want a super high-end ice making machine.
- Large production of ice
- Air cooled and energy efficient
- Great commercial icemaking machine
- Highly expensive
There are numerous kinds of icemakers and it can be confusing to choose the one thatperfectly aligns with your needs. According to our research, if you are looking for the best portable icemaker then you should opt for Igloo ICE103 and if you want a high-end icemaker then Ice-o-Matic ICEU220FA is what you should buy.If you opt for any of the above-mentioned products, there is a good chance you will end up as a satisfied customer.